Search squid archive

Redundancy

Squid Version:  squid/2.5.STABLE12

I've configured a proxy script that my clients point to.  It reads as
follows:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
         if (isPlainHostName(host) || isInNet(host, "172.24.0.0",
"255.255.0.0")
                                   || isInNet(host, "192.168.0.0",
"255.255.0.0"))
             return "DIRECT";
         else
             return "PROXY wpad.kal.kalsec.com:8000; PROXY
wpad.kal.kalsec.com:8080; DIRECT";
}

I'm doing this because, when squid is "Store rebuilding" it is very slow
about carrying out cache requests.

Squid mostly only does this when I do a squid -k reconfigure.

My first question is, why does squid have to do this every time I send it
a reconfigure command?
My second question is, I see there's a command-line option to tell squid
to ignore cache requests until store rebuilding is complete.

Is there a way to force this, maybe with a compilation parameter?  This
would affectively enable my redundancy and make it completely
automated.  Otherwise, I have to know that squid is rebuilding it's store
file and send it that command line parameter every time this happens.

Thanks,

Tim