Search squid archive

Re: How big should be cache_dir ?

Martin Sevigny wrote:

Hello all,
<snip>
- is it better to have 10 cache-dir of 100GB or 1 cache-dir of 1TB (for instance)?

- expected average size of entries in the cache will be around 100KB, which means that a 100GB cache will hold around 1 million entries... are there any issues (memory?) with these numbers? I've tested 100 000 entries with success (and very good speed) but 1 million or more?

I could be wrong, but I think the number of directories is configurable is so that you as an administrator can have greater control over the layout of the cache-dir.. It would depend on how often you access the cache-dir, what type of filesystem you are running on it, and also how many files you expect to have in each directory. Some filesystems prefer different structures, and some even have limits (for instance the maximum number of files in a directory.) All of these things can determine how quickly Squid can rebuild or shutdown the cache, and open, create, or remove cache files.. For your setup I'd imagine you probably don't need to worry too much.

HTH,
Peter