Search squid archive

Squid Memory usage on Fedora Core 3

Hello all,

I have configured Squid 2.5 on a PC with 1GB RAM and a DualCore
Processor.  Fedora is installed with an SMP Kernel.  my swap file size
is 300MB

When i start squid, the computer slows to a halt.  I have followed the
sugestions in the FAQ of:

1.  reduce cache_mem
2.  set memory_pool to off
3.  reduced maximum_object_size

i did not try, however,

4.  a different malloc
5.  using NOVOM, as i believe this is only for 1.1
6.  changing cache_swap, as i could not find it in the config file.

When i start squid, there is a process owned by root that is using 376mb
ram.  there is also a process owned by squid starting at 377mb ram and
growing to 723mb ram and beyond.

i have a 3GB swap file that.  Of which 508MB is in use.

Here is the info from cachemgr.cgi:

Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
	Total space in arena:  970740 KB
	Ordinary blocks:       969957 KB     24 blks
	Small blocks:               0 KB      0 blks
	Holding blocks:             0 KB      0 blks
	Free Small blocks:          0 KB
	Free Ordinary blocks:     782 KB
	Total in use:          969957 KB 100%
	Total free:               782 KB 0%
	Total size:            970740 KB
Memory accounted for:
	Total accounted:         7415 KB
	memPoolAlloc calls: 198887
	memPoolFree calls: 28658

What else can i do to tune Squid to behave properly?

Thanks!

Daniel H. Latshaw
Pitbull Solutions, LLC.