Search squid archive

File Descriptor Limit and ulimit

How do you know what is a good limit for file descriptors?  Is their a
way to see if my Squid is running out?  I know how to find the limit but
not sure if I have it set right.  Does anyone know if CentOS linux
requires a rebuilding of the kernel is the file descriptor is changed?
I'm reading from Squid : The Definitive Guide about File Descriptors and
I'm getting a little confused.  I want to make sure I have this setup
correctly on my new squid server.

Brad