Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Recommended Hardware for my setup

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

IMHO:

~1GHz CPU will be enough. The bigger your disk cache, the more
RAM you'll need. My on-disk cache size is 377,400,741, RAM usage is:

 PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME CPU COMMAND
20383 squid     16   0 27548  22M   800 S     0.0  9.2  43:05   0 squid

Feel free to extrapolate.

Unless your company insists on having blazing download speeds
with multiple downloads from many machines, you can get away
with fairly ordinary disks. Typically it is limited by
speed of external link.
--
vda

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do have a 'desktop' type box with the following specs on it:

-1.8ghz Athlon CPU
-1gig DDR Ram
-1 80 gig IDE drive.

Nothing fancy, but it might work. I'd like a 1U solution, but if this fits the bill, it is something I definitely could work with. I priced a Dell Power Edge 750, with a 2.4ghz, 512mb RAM, 40gig drive, 1U for about $500. If I can avoid that, I will though so i can save some cash.

Besides Squid, i'm looking for additional content/web filtering ideas. the two im currently looking at are:

http://dansguardian.org/

http://www.safesquid.com/home/portal.php?page=5

If anyone has other's they like, im all eyes.

Thanks,

Jason