Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Abridged URL gives wierd squid error on STABLE10?

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Frank Hamersley wrote:

I have been testing Squid 2.5 S10 on a RH80 Bastion Firewall host (cable
network connected) for QA as a precursor to upgrading a production system
and have been getting some wierd stuff happening.  I'm not convinced Squid
is at fault but more on that later.

What did access.log say?

Is this a normal proxy config, or are you using transparent interception?

http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

	While trying to retrieve the URL:
/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

This indicates the URL was sent to Squid a web server, not proxy.. so someone thought your Squid is the www.google.com web server.

I personally suspect the underlying problem is a flakey DNS.

maybe, but it's not the only possible cause.

For it to be DNS the DNS server needs to return the wrong IP address, not a failure.

shown above is not one of my domains! Another factor is that I am using iptables to redirect internal port 80 to 3128 (PREROUTING) to supply squid with requests rather than having squid listen on 80.

Is there any difference if you set your browser to use the Squid proxy port?

In light of this does this symptom appear to be what you would expect if the
DNS lookup failed?

No. If the DNS lookup failed your Squid returns an error saying so.

Regards
Henrik