Search squid archive

[squid-users] transparent proxy help

>....... I can do direct proxying if I specify the proxy server on a machine,
>this works. But it will be tedious to upgrade all desktops to do this
>and not to mention complaints if someone tampers with it or why this
>needs to be done or new machines being added.......

I understand your problem.  In case you don't get transparency working, here is a
workaround that I use.

On your bastion router, set ipgate=off, i.e. leave no route between the secure and
non-secure NICs.  Packets cross the gap only if Squid hands them across.  Then, proxy
setup is just part of setting up a workstation, and if users alter the settings then they
cannot browse the web.  If you need other internet services you will need proxies for them
too.

John Sutherland
Phone & Fax +61 2 4683 1511
9 Meryla Street, Couridjah NSW 2571 Australia