Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Passing thru TOS headers to clients

On Mon, 9 May 2005, iwsc@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

The solution that would solve the impasse: to use SQUID in accelerator mode and SQUID to pass thru the packages with TOS unchanged (if it is 0x88 before SQUID so it would be 0x88 after it and viceversa for 0x00).

Why accelerator mode? Normal proxy mode is what you want I think.

I know that the Squid is an open-source application and I've tried to look at the sources, but my age doesn't permit me to take it from the begining and learn programming language, as I'm not a programmer, in order to discern the great stupendous application.

It is somewhat more tricky than it may seem. The TCP/IP kernel does not give Squid access to what the TOS/DS value of the return traffic was. At least not on Linux which I am most familiar with.

Setting the TOS/DS value is almost trivial. This is already supported on the outgoing connections Squid make via the outgoing_tos directive, and having a similar function to set the TOS/DS on return traffic to clients would not be very hard. The problem for your case is to know what TOS/DS to set..

I am absolutely convinced that your time is practically inexistent but I must tell you that this feature of SQUID would solve problems of thousands users here and crossborder as the provider is multinational company.

A feature like "pass_headers on" in conjunction with accelerator mode settings :) would be heaven !

Squid operates at the application level, not packet level. There is no concept of "headers" at the application level, only TCP/IP connections and the streams of data within them.

Regards
Henrik