Search squid archive

[squid-users] DNS lookup failure when transparent proxy

Hi,

I've installed squid version 2.5 release 9 on redhat linux fedora core 3 and setup a proxy server (with 2 ethernet ports) between my LAN and the internet.
I've successfully configured Squid so the proxy server runs transparently and intercepts all http requests from clients on the LAN.
When I enter IP address's (including the IP address for google) in the client's web browser URL, the pages are served fine, but when I enter a domain name in the URL,
the browser returns the 'Page Cannot be displayed message'.

The client machine and proxy (in /etc/resolv.conf) both know our ISP nameservers IP address and I've configured the proxy server firewall to allow DNS lookups via UDP on port 53.

If the client browser is configured to use the proxy server (rather than have it run transparently), DNS lookups work fine and domain name URL pages are displayed.
I would however, really like to get DNS lookups working with a transparent proxy setup.

I can't see it myself but would this involve changing settings in squid.conf?.. or perhaps some form of iptables forwarding command for DNS responses on UDP port 53? (ie to forward incoming

Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve