Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] What causes "Malformed UTF-8 character..."?

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Steve Snyder wrote:

Yesterday 48 occurrances of this showed up in my cache.log:

Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0xad, with no preceding start byte) in pattern match (m//) at (eval 1) line 5, <STDIN> line 21982.

You are using a Perl helper to Squid and your perl is somewhat confused due to your system using UTF-8..

Add LANG=C to the script starting Squid, or wrap the perl helper(s) you use similarily.

Not entirely sure if this message indicates problems or not, but I prefer to have things running in a manner that you do not need to worry.

Regards
Henrik