Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Major malfunction: Squid and Windows Update

Can one simply set windowsupdate urls to not be cached then?
e.g.:

  acl bypass dstdomain .windowsupdate.microsoft.com .windowsupdate.com
  no_cache deny bypass

You'll have two problems if you do. First of all, your bandwidth will be taxed severely (perhaps overwhelmed) by the flood of uncached Windows Update requests. Secondly, the huge problems that Squid has with partial content will likely rear their heads even if the data isn't cached.

The behavior I'm seeing (I'm going to write it up in detail in a
subsequent message) is majorly, majorly bad. As in, we're seriously
looking at taking all servers that were running Squid offline and going
to ANYTHING else. You'll see why when I post a full account of Squid's
behavior with Windows Update.

Is XP's auto-update feature messed up by Squid also? Or just access using a browser to WindowsUpdate?
grol