Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] squid needs restarting after internet connect

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Nik wrote:

That was one of my initial thoughts. I can't remember anymore if NAMED responds dynamically to changes in resolve.conf. Regardless, I wanted to find out if this could be fixed by adjusting squid, before bringing another process into the mix.

named doesn't read resolv.conf at all.

if you need to use name forwardeds then this has to be explicitly specified by IP in named.conf.

I have also looked at the workings of "ifup-post", which calls a do_netreport() function. This iterates all the files in /var/run/netreport, and sends the process identified by each a "kill -SIGIO" signal. Would this work for squid?

Not without changes to support the SIGIO signal.

Squid doesn't seem to enable this automatically, so I presume I would have to modify the startup script in /etc/init.d, meaning that the changes will also most probably be lost on an upgrade.

very few if any applications reacts to changes in resolv.conf without restart.

I am happy to look at the code and create a patch if I can. However, there's no point doing so if it is unlikely to be accepted into the production version. What are people's thoughts?

PS: do people prefer to be included in the reply list, or to only get replies via the mailing list?

I prefer somewher inbetween. Included if I was in the last two or three messages of the thread, excluded otherwise.

Regards
Henrik