Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] http partial caching

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Jun OKAJIMA wrote:

When user X have downloaded the first 30MB of 100MB file, and still keeps downloading the rest without disconnect. In this moment, if user Y starts to download the same file, What happens?

If the file is being cached then user Y will get what has already been downloaded, and then join the same request as X.

But this requires that your squid configuration is set to allow caching of 100MB files. The default config limits caching to not cache files larger than 4MB (maximum_object_size parameter).

What I am asking is a situation like a class room which uses streaming video
for science education. Students clicks same contents at same time. But maybe
they dont see the video from start to end. They want to see a part which they
have interested in on demand. This is the reason I have asked about partial
caching.

Most streaming is using streaming protocols ontop of HTTP rather than normal HTTP requests making caching impossible, but if the streaming application you are using is using proper HTTP requests to a static video stream then there is a promising future for partial caching to support this.

I hope squid 3.1 solves all problems and will come soon ;)

Don't hold your breath waiting however. We are still trying to get 3.0 out of the door first.

Regards
Henrik