Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] High Utilization

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Jorgen Rosink wrote:

Yeah, that's why I have no clue how it could be that sometimes there's
a stall for about 5 seconds client side (congestion free network btw).

Try the following

squidclient -g 60 /squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-unknown.gif & vmstat 1 60

is there any irregularities observed in the output of the above when the clients stall?

One thing which I experienced at a customer recently is if you are using the Linux ext3 filesystem. It is then quite important that the cache filesystem is mounted with "noatime", and also a good idea to increase the ext3 journals size. If not the ext3 filesystem will temporarily "lock up" while flushing the journal when under high load, effectively halting Squid. This can be seen in the output of the command above as periods with a lot of pageout activity with no responses from Squid.

Regards
Henrik