Search squid archive

[squid-users] Unable to increase file descriptor

Dear all,

I have a squid that always start with 1024 file descriptors. But I intend to increase the value because my new proxy will serve around 70-80 users. My squid version is squid-2.5.STABLE5-2, kernel is 2.6.5-1.358. My squid comes with the distribution therefore I did not do any compiling.

According to the mailing list, I read that:

you may try to allocate more file descriptors before
start Squid server. This can be done using "max_open_disk_fds" TAG. In
addition to that you can allocate more file descriptors at the shell
level by using following command.

"ulimit -HSn 2048"

I have set in my squid.conf, max_open_disk_fds 2048 but when I restart squid and check the cache.log it still says "With 1024 file descriptors available". I thought after alteration, it should have 2048 file descriptors available instead of 1024?

please help me with this, I am worried because of the large number of users, 1024 file descriptors might not be enough. Thanks for any help!