Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] HTTP/1.1 CONNECT truncating

This abused the CONNECT method and is not supposed to work.
The CONNECT method is only designed for tunneling of SSL traffic via the proxy, not other uses.

can you please direct me to an RFC that supports these statements? as I believe otherwise.

from rfc 2616 http/1.1:
"9.9 CONNECT This specification reserves the method name CONNECT for use with a proxy that can dynamically switch to being a tunnel (e.g. SSL tunneling [44])."

[44] refers to rfc draft "Tunneling TCP based protocols through Web proxy servers" which says:
"This document specifies a generic tunneling mechanism for TCP based protocols through Web proxy servers. This tunneling mechanism was initially introduced for the SSL protocol [SSL] to allow secure Web traffic to pass through firewalls, but its utility is not limited to SSL. Earlier drafts of this specification were titled "Tunneling SSL through Web Proxy Servers" <draft-luotonen-ssl-tunneling-XX.txt>. Implementations of this tunneling feature are commonly referred to as "SSL tunneling", although, again, it can be used for tunneling any TCP based protocol."

also, I checked 2.5.stable4, 2.5.stable5, 2.5.stable6, 2.5.stable7, 2.5.stable9 today. 4,5,6 all work. 7 & 9 do not (didn't bother with 8).

some of the entries in the changelog from 6 -> 7
- [Cosmetic] Limit internal send/receive buffer sizes (Bug #1075)
- [Minor] Fix race condition in CONNECT and also handle aborts of CONNECT requests in a more graceful
manner. (Bug #859)

I guess I'm going to have to stay with stable6 for the forseable future.

Louis Solomon
www.SteelBytes.com