Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] caching too good?

At 09:00 p.m. 11/03/2005, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
* Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid-users@xxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> What are your refresh_patterns set to?

spiderboy:/etc/squid# grep -i refresh_patterns /etc/squid/*
spiderboy:/etc/squid#

The defaults. At least my squid.conf doesn't list refresh_patterns
at all.

Ralf: the defaults as shipped in squid.conf is to have these uncommented:

refresh_pattern ^ftp:           1440    20%     10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher:        1440    0%      1440
refresh_pattern .               0       20%     4320

Try putting them in, and see if it makes any difference.

I'd be interested to know what having no patterns defined in a working squid.conf (like yours) is _supposed_ to do though (does it just cache everything infinitely?). The default from src/cf.data is (none), however squid.conf ships with the refresh_pattern lines above uncommented, effectively overriding the undefined/none value.

Henrik: what is the behaviour of (none) supposed to be? Seems to me that what is specified above and in squid.conf.default should be what squid does if nothing is explicitely defined by the user at all?

reuben