Search squid archive

[squid-users] Proxying NTLM

Hi All,
  I am trying to use Squid as an accelerating proxy server to a web server
that is authenticating clients via NTLM.  This is on an intranet.  I
*know* the limitations of NTLM, and I *know* it is a crap protocol and
breaks standards etc. but it is what we are stuck with on this intranet
:(

Looking through the archives I see lots of posts saying that Squid (and
other proxies) cannot proxy NTLM.  Why is this?  I understand the
keepalive requirements of NTLM and I thought that squid honoured
keepalives with both the client and the server?

Or, put another way, we sucessfully proxy NTLM with apache 2.0 and
mod_proxy to a backend server, so I know it is technically feasible.  The
issue is that squid is much better at proxying than apache, so we would
really like to use that.

>From my initial tests it looks like squid (2.5-stable9) seems to be
actively removing the WWW-Authenticate header on the way from the backend
server to the client.  I do not have any of the anonymiser features
enabled in Squid, so it should not be mangling any headers.

Any ideas?

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton                                         matth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.          Business Vision on the Internet