Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Re: Help me About Squid

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Ric Lonsdale wrote:

If so why have this setting? I'm missing the point here I'm sure, so please
advise.

The cache_mem setting is mainly of benefit when Squid is used as a reverse proxy. Here the whole set of files served by the proxy may fit in the cache_mem in an very efficient manner and there is practically no need for disk I/O at all.

In normal Internet proxies this never happens, and cache_mem is better left close to the default setting to allow the OS to make efficient use of the RAM to speed up disk I/O buffers etc.

Regards
Henrik