Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Clearing the Squid cache or disabling caching during certain periods

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

The best approach to this is to make the web server set proper cache-control and/or Expires headers. Will make your and your users life much better.

Yes, that would be nice, wouldn't it? ;-) Unfortunately, this is for caching a commercial shopping cart (Miva Merchant) and we can't change the headers that are sent out programmatically (and it currently sends no cache-related headers at all). We might be able to add an expires header in a .htaccess file, but then we'd have to write a script changing .htaccess at various times.

You should either use the init script for both actions, or not at all.
Also, "squid -k shutdown" will take a while to complete during which time you should monitor the pid file.

I originally tried using the init script to shut down, but I often got errors restarting Squid when I used it. I think monitoring the pid file as you suggest might solve that problem.

No need to switch between two configs for this. Squid is fully aware of time allowing the same configuration to be used during both periods.

Chris' e-mail said something about this, too. I'll give it a try -- looks like my best option.

Thanks!

Jen