Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] Select parent without ICP

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Paul Dugas wrote:

Wondering if this will work...  I have a laptop that moves with me between
multiple networks.  I'm wondering it I might setup squid to know about the
available proxy servers on each of them and "figure out" which one it
should be using.  I need to do this without using ICP as most of them are
actually WinISA proxys (shudder).

Should work fine. Just set peer_connect_timeout to a suitably small value to speed up the process (or explicitly on each peer).

I'm running a stock Fedora Core 3 distribution with updates.  I've
adjusted squid.conf to add the following entries:

cache_peer 192.168.1.1 parent 8080 0 no-query
cache_peer 10.0.0.1 parent 8080 0 no-query
cache_peer 192.168.200.1 parent 8080 0 no-query login=foo:bar

prefer_direct off

Are you sure you do not want to use "never_direct allow all" instead?

Can your laptop go direct to the Internet? If not never_direct is what you want, not prefer_direct off.

I've tried adding connect-timeout=5 to each cache_peer entry with no change.

You need to give it a little time, and this may be aggregated by you not using never_direct above as this will make Squid attempt to go direct if using the first selected peer fails until it has tried sufficient number of times to make it declare the peer dead (10 consequtive times).

Regards Henrik