Search squid archive

Re: [squid-users] [squid-users) FAQ 10.11 Banning all other destinations

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 johnsuth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

In Squid 2.5.s8_OS2_VAC my squid.conf included this example from FAQ 10.11
acl xxx dst 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
http_access deny xxx

However, web pages not previously allowed in the sequence of rules, were nevertheless
allowed to be served from cache, contrary to my wishes.

I understand that if I accept free software, then I am a beta tester.

You are defenitely not a beta tester by accepting to use free software.

If you accept to use snapshot or development versions then you are a beta tester.

I suppose the Squid community takes no responsibility for the integrity of any specific build of Squid.

The Squid developers take no responsibility for the suitability of Squid for any purpose, but neither does any of the commercial software providers ;-)

Seriously, we to take Squid very seriously.

#  TAG: http_access
#Recommended minimum configuration:
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny to_localhost
http_access allow government
http_access allow education
http_access allow google
http_access allow acenet
http_access allow localnet
http_access deny ip
http_access deny http
http_access allow www

I would recommend you to read the "Squid FAQ 10.1 Access Controls - Introduction" for an description of how the http_access directive works.

The above http_access rule list is most certainly not what you intended as it allows:

- the whole world is given access to government, education, google and acenet via your proxy

 - localnet access to anything

- everything else not listed above is denied access by the ip rule (ie. the whole world except your localnet is denied to go to any sites not listed above)

- and the two last rules (http, www) can never be reached as the "deny ip" rule has already catched everything.

Regards
Henrik