Re: Potential ways to describe virtio-video device capabilities

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 07:07:34AM +0200, Alexander Gordeev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on updating virtio-video draft v8 spec [1] and the
> virtio-video V4L2 driver [2]. One of the things, that I don't like in
> the current spec draft is sharing the device's capabilities with the
> guest VM. The main requirement is making these capabilities compatible
> with V4L2.
>
> These capabilities could be pretty complex, see [3] and [4]:
> 1. First there could be several coded video formats. Coded formats have
> their specific sets of supported controls.
> 2. Then for each coded video formats there could be different sets of
> raw video formats, that could be used in combination with the selected
> encoded format for decoding/encoding.
> 3. Then for each combination of the coded and raw format there could be
> different sets of supported resolutions.
> 4. (Optional) for each coded format, raw format and resolution there
> could be different sets of supported frame rates/intervals.
>
> In the future new formats, controls, flags, etc could be defined. Right
> now there is a rather static structure, see section 5.20.7.3.1
> (VIRTIO_VIDEO_CMD_DEVICE_QUERY_CAPS) in [5]. It looks too inflexible.
>
> The V4L2 approach with many different ioctl's and complex querying logic
> doesn't fit well for virtio-video IMHO. syscall overhead is only a few
> hundred nanoseconds, so doing tens or hundreds of them is bearable in
> case of video. But a roundtrip over virtio may take hundreds of
> microseconds even in the local case. We at OpenSynergy already have
> setups where the real hardware is accessed over a network. Then it can
> take a millisecond. People already seem to agree, that this amount of
> overhead makes V4L2-style discovery process unbearable on a per stream
> basis. So all the relevant data has to be obtained during the device
> probing. This means, that in many cases there is a complex structure
> with all the data on the device side, and we just need to move it to the
> driver side. Moving it in one step seems easier to me and better because
> of the latency. Boot time matters too sometimes.

No disagreement here. For what it's worth, I think V4L2 should also
evolve and get a way to query capabilities with a single (or a very
small number of) ioctl.

> One of the ideas is to replace the mentioned
> VIRTIO_VIDEO_CMD_DEVICE_QUERY_CAPS command response with a standalone
> Device Tree Blob. It looks the most promising to me right now. I guess,
> it may sound crazy to many people, but actually it fits into one of the
> device tree usage patterns outlined in [6]. This document is referenced
> in the kernel device tree documentation, so I assume it is correct.

If we want to pass flexible structured data we need a binary format, and
DT provides a binary format. Whether it's the best option or not, I
don't know, but it doesn't seem too crazy to me.

> A simplified version could look like this, for example:
>
> /dts-v1/;
>
> / {
>      virtio-video {
>          compatible = "virtio,video";
>
>          virtio,video-caps {
>              h264 {
>                  profiles-mask = <0x3ffff>;
>                  levels-mask = <0xfffff>;
>                  num-resources-range = <1 32>;
>                  buffer-size = <0x100000>;
>                  bitrates-range = <100000 10000000>;
>
>                  yuv420 {
>                      plane-layout-mask = <0x3>;
>                      plane-align = <1>;
>                      stride-align-mask = <0x10>;
>                      widths-range-stepwise = <96 1920 8>;
>                      heights-range-stepwise = <96 1080 1>;
>                      num-resources-range = <4 50>;
>                  };
>
>                  nv12 {
>                      /* ... */
>                  };
>
>                  rgba {
>                      /* ... */
>                  };
>              };
>
>              hevc {
>                  /* ... */
>              };
>
>              vp8 {
>                  /* ... */
>              };
>
>              vp9 {
>                  /* ... */
>              };
>          };
>      };
> };
>
> Or maybe the resolutions could be defined separately and linked using
> phandles to avoid duplication because they are going to depend on the
> raw formats exclusively in most cases, I think.
>
> There are many benefits IMO:
>
> 1. Device tree can be used to describe arbitrary trees (and even
> arbitrary graphs with phandles). The underlying data structure is
> generic. It looks like it can fit very well here.
> 2. There is a specification of the format [7]. I hope it could be
> referenced in the virtio spec, right?
> 3. There is already DTS, DTC, libfdt and DTB parsing code in Linux. All
> of this can be reused. For example, at the moment we have a custom
> configuration file format and a big chunk of code to handle it in our
> virtio-video device. These could be replaced by DTS and calls to libfdt
> completely, I think. There is also an implementation in Rust [8].

How does libfdt fare when it comes to ease of use and performance ?
License-wise it seems to be dual-licensed under the terms of the GPL v2
and BSD-2, so it should be fine.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]