need help explaining the algorithm

Hi, list:
This is my first post to a mail list.. so..
I am a college student and I am very interested in the algorithm that maintains the current ring of drawables to reduce the display data transfer. I currently read the code through the  trace of disolay_channel_process_draw->display_channel_add_drawable->current_add->exclude_region->__exclude_region, and gained some understanding of the code.
However, I still don't quite get the concept of the difference between a draw item and a container? And there are questions like why current_add_with_shadow is much more complicated than the current_add; what did the pip actually send? a drawable or the whole surface? where do compression come in?...
Do you guys have any resources besides the newbee and spice protocol document to learn about this algorithm?
Best wishes!
Zihao Miao