Re: Virt-viewer single connection

On Thu, 2018-10-04 at 07:55 -0300, Ivo Cavalcante wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> We're trying to implement a standard solution on our company, where
> users who need Windows machines (some legacy software still uses it)
> will have a VM on their workstations, using Libvirt/QEMU/KVM. The
> biggest problem we're seeing so far is that we can't find a way to
> prevent users with root access on the physical machine from
> "stealing"
> an eventually open Windows session on virt-viewer from the machine
> owners.
>
> I know, only IT staff will have such privileges, but even then this
> might pose a security threat that should be dealt with. I've looked
> into ticketing, SASL and other things, but failed to find a way to
> definitely avoid this.
>
> Is there something I'm missing or is this a dead end? We're looking
> primarily at Spice displays 'cause it just works - USB redirection,
> video, audio... Easier than trying to achieve the same using open
> tools
> and RDP.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> Ivo Cavalcante

If a determined user has root access on the physical machine, it's
going to be very difficult to prevent them from accessing anything on
that machine. I know there's a way to make spice tickets / passwords
expire after a certain amount of time. For example, there is a QMP
expire_password command. I'm not sure if that's helpful though, because
 a user with root access could also potentially use these commands.
Another possibility might be to have the windows vdagent lock the
windows account when a client disconnects. This wouldn't prevent
another user from "stealing" the spice session, but it might prevent
them from accessing to the user's windows account within the guest.

Jonathon