Re: Windows 10 KVM guest very slow in SPICE console

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:04:22PM -0500, Carlos González wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I installed a Windows 10 KVM guest through libvirt on an
> > openSUSE host. I use it with SPICE console through host's
> > installed package virt-viewer. The guest uses qcow2 storage
> > format, and has RAM ballooning range of 2 Gb - 3 Gb. I
> > installed all due drivers in the guest through
> > spice-guest-tools installer.
>
> For windows 10 you need QXL-WDDM-DOD driver. I'm not 100% sure
> that's included in latest spice-guest-tools but you can download
> it on spice-space.org/download.html page.
>
> > Host hardware is a laptop probably dating from 7-8 years ago,
> > with i3 2.53 GHz, 4 Gb RAM, and a 7200 rpm SATA hard disk. Yes,
> > it's a bit old already.
>
> I would suggest trying some SSD.

I don't think this is going to improve much if not nothing.
I have a SSD and a much more recent laptop. Windows 10 is slow using
local WiFi. This is caused by the graphic stack changes in Windows 10
and the way currently optimizations are done for QXL by spice-server
that actually are not much effective.

> > From the moment Windows finishes booting and prepares to load
> > the login screen -the one with the hour before choosing a
> > user-, it takes a minute or more to actually load the login
> > screen, and even when it does it takes more time to even become
> > responsive.

This is unfortunately the phase (login) most affected by these
implementation changes.

Frediano