Re: High bandwith using spice

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 11:08:39 PM AKDT Sören Busse wrote:
> I've created a QEMU-VM with Windows 7 and the default QXL and virtio
> drivers. The problem apperas if I try to connect to this VM from my LAN
> which is limited to 1GBit/s
>
> Youtube videos are lagging and qemu is using the full 1GBit/s of bandwith.
> If I connect to this VM via localhost it's working pretty smoothly, but as
> soon as I limit my loopback interface using the "tc"-command I get the same
> result like in my LAN.
>
> Is it normal that spice is using such a high bandwith and is there a way to
> reduce it?

I would say the best way to reduce bandwidth is by not watching youtube videos
via a SPICE connection. :)  I think the protocol is designed for remote
control, not full-motion video. It is probably not as efficient as the
compression used by youtube, and may not even be as efficient (although I
haven't compared) as VNC.

Joshua J. Kugler - Fairbanks, Alaska
Azariah Enterprises - Programming and Website Design
joshua@xxxxxxxxxxx - Jabber: pedahzur@xxxxxxxxx
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A