Re: gtk client side timeouts

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:49:54AM -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We've got an issue with a remote viewer kiosk.  That is, in our normal
> mode of operation, if something goes wrong with a client connection
> (e.g. the sessions is killed, server restarted normally), the kiosk will
> exit on disconnect, and we get a chance to retry the connection, or
> present the user with a 'server down' style message.
>
> But in the case of a serious network problem or a server hard power
> cycle (i.e. no TCP FIN packets can flow), our end user behavior is not
> ideal - the kiosk appears to hang solid, requiring a power cycle.
>
> That's because we've got the stock keepalive timeouts, or about 2 hours
> and 11 minutes, before the client sees the disconnect.
>
> Now this is a relatively rare occurrence, and arguably a minor nuisance,
> but I've been asked to see what it would take to improve the situation.
>
> I looked for past discussions on spice-devel; I only readily found
> discussion of the keepalive parameters on the server side, and it looks
> like we take the idle timer down to 10 minutes now, from 2 hours.  I
> didn't find discussion of something similar client side.
>
> Have we considered tuning them on the spice-gtk client side?
>
> The attached patch applies a roughly 75 second timeout for me; is this
> something that would be viable to add to the gtk client, even if only as
> an option?

Ah, I've coincidentally been looking at this this week too, not with the
same goal in mind though, my problem is SPICE connection sometimes
getting dropped if idle for too long. But the current answer is also
tweaking TCP keepalives.
Definitely no objection having some form of keepalive client sides,
though your proposed change is not going to work for the Windows client.

I've made some good progress on patches to add both Windows/linux
support to glib, but need to finish them up ;)

Christophe