Re: [RFC] Spice channels compression

> > Hi Snir,
> >
> > Regarding compression and another topic recently evoked, endianness, I
> > wonder
> > if encoding using LEB128 had been discussed?
> >
> > LEB128 encodes any value below 128 as 1 bytes, any value below ~16000 as 2
> > bytes, and so on. It is size and endianness independent. This means that we
> > can extend a field from uint16 to uint32 without protocol incompatibility.
> > It is much less computationally expensive than full compression. I think it
> > would apply very well to a lot of our meta-data, but would be less
> > effective
> > than regular compression algorithms with image data proper. So it’s
> > addressing another part of the problem.
> >
> > I have no real feeling yet for how important that other part is in the
> > streams, but my guts tell me “probably not much” (i.e. I expect much more
> > image data than meta-data). Still, it might be worth trying. But it’s
> > probably not just a capability: if we want to encode most fields that way,
> > this means a protocol bump. Not sure it’s worth it.
> >
> > The code to encode and decode is really short. Here is an example for
> > writing:
> > https://github.com/c3d/XL-programming-language/blob/master/xlr/serializer.cpp#L219.
> > Here is an example for reading:
> > https://github.com/c3d/XL-programming-language/blob/master/xlr/serializer.cpp#L406.
> >

> > Christophe
> >

> Maybe helpful however Snir is working more on payload compression than
> structured data so the gain would be not great (he use few fields).
> However maybe some statistics can be done. Our "mini" header is 16 bit
> type and 32 bit length. For instance you can add some statistics recording
> - number of messages
> - total messages payload
> - total LEB128 encoded header (the not encoded is number of messages * 6).
> If you want also to try compressing (or doing statistics on) fields you
> could add some code to the code generated by python scripts in spice-common.

I instrumented a bit the code to understand how this LEB128 could affect
fields (not the header).
The algorithm remove about 50-60% of field data however this affect the
total bandwidth utilization by about 0.2-0.4% mainly due to the display
channel. Maybe for other channels we could have better gain.

Frediano