Enhance video performance

Hello my friends,
I am a newbie of SPICE and recently I managed to build and install both SPICE server and gtk client on my laptop (Ubuntu16.04.2), and I encountered a problem of video performance when I played a video on the guest OS (Ubuntu16.04.2 with Unity 8). The performance of playing a video on Ubuntu with Unity8 is quite bad while playing on Ubuntu with other desktop environment such as xfce and gnome2 is quite good. So I wonder if I could do something to enhance the video performance of SPICE. Maybe add some specific command when starting the guest OS using Qemu or modify some source code of SPICE server and client and recompile?
Any idea of learning SPICE source code to enhance the video performance? I'd like to customize SPICE for better video performance when I finish my homework.
Thank you for reading.