Re: wss forced on spice.html

Hi Cory,

On 01/29/2017 04:38 PM, Cory Schwartz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed on the example page https://www.spice-space.org/spice-html5/spice.html
> that you are unable to connect to a websocket where SSL is not
> implemented. The reason for this is that the original site redirects
> to https and the websocet is ws:// not wss://. One is greeted with an
> error which states the operation is insecure and it does not attempt
> the connection. I haven't tested whether this is true of all web
> browsers, I think given this is just an example page it's reasonable
> in this case to permit HTTP and HTTPS so develpers are not required to
> add SSL to the projects they are developing at early stages.

I've just tried this page in Firefox, and I see the error you are
getting.  Arguably, the right solution is to mirror the logic in
spice_auto.html and make the connection be wss:// in this case, not ws://.

With that said, the example page is really not intended as anything more
than a taste, and the spice.html file itself is meant as a starting
template.  You should feel free to download and host it yourself and
tweak it to your hearts content.

I don't host spice-space.org, but I think the web as a whole is moving
towards https, not away, so I suspect you'd find strong, and
justifiable, resistance to hosting this page as http://.

I'll see about getting a patch to auto select wss://, along with a
corresponding note that folks will need to have a websockify running
with ssl support, to the template page.

Cheers,

Jeremy