From: "Behrooz Shabani" <everplays@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "spice-devel" <spice-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Armin Ranjbar" <zoup@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2017 12:39:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Spice-devel] Getting involved with implementation of remote spice for 3D accelerated VMs

Thanks Gerd and hello mailing list :-),

As it is obvious from my previous email, I am looking for some guidance to make some contribution while I am working on my specialization.

At this moment, I know what I like to be able to do with Spice:
  • Remote access with 3D acceleration
  • Decoding the video stream via GPU on the client.
However, I have no idea what their status is and where I should begin to contribute. Therefore, any information towards making me useful to spice (as I want to do more than just basing my research on virtgl/spice), would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have joined the IRC channel with the nickname `behrooz` as well.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mi, 2017-01-04 at 15:40 +0100, Behrooz Shabani wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>

> I hope you are doing well.
>

> I watched one of your talks about virgl and spice, great work!
>

> Currently, I am busy with my specialization at Saxion university which
> is about virtualization of graphic cards.
>

> I was wondering how I can get involved to implement 3D accelerated VM
> over network with spice. And after that, maybe, with using the GPU of
> the system that runs spice to decode the video stream. Essentially, I
> am looking for your guidance to understand what needs to be done so I
> can get on with implementing it.

That question is asked best on the spice-devel mainling list (added to
Cc:).

Improving video encoding support in spice is making progress, and remote
support for virtio-gpu (and intel-vgpu) will build on top of that.

But I don't know in detail what the status is and what still needs to be
done to complete remote support.

cheers,
  Gerd

--