Re: Spice-Html5 Client Query

On 12/14/2016 08:05 PM, Shirley Arava wrote:
Hi,

I was looking for some sort of guidance as to where I was going wrong
with the spice protocol requirements. We are currently trying to use
SPICE-html5 client to provide remote access to Virtual Machines hosted
on a Xen hypervisor. It would be really helpful if you could provide us
some inputs since we are currently improving the virtual private cloud
experience for hosting online labs at Tandon School of Engineering, NYU.

On my test bed, I have deployed an ubuntu server(16.04 LTS) as a virtual
machine on a xen hypervisor(also ubuntu 16.04 LTS server) and was able
to connect remotely to the virtual machine using the spice html5
client(www.spice-space.org <http://www.spice-space.org/>). However I was
unable to get the copy-paste functionality to work.

According to a few of the documentations/blogs I have read, for the
copy-paste functionality to work, spice protocol needs the qxl driver
and spice-vdagent to be present on the both host and the guest machines.
I have installed them on the xen server and the guests, but I was still
not able to copy-paste.

Can you help me figure out or point me to some good documentation to
check if I have overlooked something to get SPICE-html5 client to run
with the clipboard sharing.

Hi Shirley,

For clipboard sharing to work you need on the guest:
1. virtio-serial driver (and matching device for the VM)
2. spice-vdagent service and agent (and matching port for the VM)
(See Configuration in
 https://www.spice-space.org/spice-user-manual.html#agent)

No need to install it on the host/server.
No need to install it on the client machine.
No need for QXL device.

You do need a client that supports clipboard sharing.
It seems that spice-html5 does not yet support it.

In spice-html5 git repo, in TODO file, one can find:

  Explore clipboard
    - Supporting it may require unpleasant hacks

Can you try using remote-viewer ?

Regards,
    Uri.