Re: spice performance tweaking

I saw you are using CentOS 7. I built the package with RHEL 7 (they are binary compatible).
About the testing just which normal usage you should see improvements in bandwidth and
reactivity.

Changes from current CentOS package:
- used a newer version, there are couple of changes that decrease latency;
- additional patches to improve bandwidth usage (for small drawing this should decrease
  bandwidth usage by a 15-20%);
- additional patch to decrease a bandwidth limitation due to a peculiar half-duplex usage
  of spice protocol (this is clearly visible with high latency connections);
- additional patch to decrease packet fragmentation due to TCP_NODELAY usage.

Alternatively would be helpful for us to get a local reproduction of the problem.
OpenVPN configuration files would be helpful (we don't need any security
detail like keys, ip, host or system names, just to understand the type of VPN,
encryption parameters, compression, additional latency introduced and so on).

The fact that you are not able to get a record from the guest means that the QXL
(guest <-> server) protocol how the spice-server is handling guest command is
fine. The fact that on the client you can see clearly such slowness is due to spice
protocol, the connection/vpn, some spice-server implementation and possibly
client implementation too. Unfortunately too much stuff to be able to point the
finger to one of them.
I tried some test and did this:
- opened task manager on Windows 7;
- switched to performance tab;
- maximized task manager;
- double clicked on CPU usage to get only CPU usage and history.
When CPU usage change I can see the flickering on CPU usage but not on
the history graphs. It this the kind of flickering you are noticing?

Frediano

For which distro is that package ?
Centos 7.2 ? rhel7.3beta or fedora24 ?

Rob Verduijn

Could you test at least? Would be very helpful. We could then backport some improvements.

Frediano

thanx,I'll stick with the centos packages,

I need a very good reason before I start using beta packages.
And a nice to have feature is not one of them.

Also I dug in to the openvpn tweaks and it seems that all of them are related to udp tunnels.
Performance is sadly rather low when you have to use tcp (like me) because the firewall is managed by a third party.

Rob Verduijn

Hello,

I'm trying to improve my spice performance on a kvm host/guest.
It's currently rather slow and I can see screens beeing build up, and delays when draging windows.

It's being tunneled through openvpn, which is set to use tcp.
tcp required because of the firewall which is maintained by 3rd party.

I have full access to the kvm host, kvm guest and openvpn server.

Have you got any tips so that I can improve spice performance ?
I alrready am running tuned with the virtual-guest profile for  guests and host profile for the host.
All systems are runnning CentOS 7

Any tips for :
- the KVM host ?
- the KVM guest ?
- the openvpn server ?

Cheers
Rob Verduijn
Hi,
  can you try version at https://www.datafilehost.com/d/b07f008e ?

The sha1 hash (please check it) is 0e2191c363e109475aeb2bff401e699f0a07a795.

Be prepare for the rollback, it's not a version meant for production usage.

Frediano