Re: XSpice status report / todo list

</heresy>
Well, spice has some bad corner cases. Actually it lack a continuous
bandwidth analysis and there are some implementation of the protocol
that make latency affect badly on some conditions.
Just an example of extreme case think about if interface was designed
pixel by pixel it could happen that each pixel is transformed into a 1x1
image drawing (there is no "PutPixel" call on the protocol).
spice should try better to balance CPU usage and bandwidth also
considering that a lot of small drawing tend to cost quite lot of CPU too.
Well... this adaptive protocol would solve lot of problems possibly
making a full DFPS useless.

Yes, the case that triggered DFPS was in fact a pixel by pixel draw operation.

Another todo is profiling; XSpice cpu usage, particularly for the spice
server, is substantially higher than that of vnc.  I'm hoping that as we
refactor some of the red_*, it may be possible to carve out simpler code
paths for XSpice (or at least to profile and understand the pain).
Do you have some profiling data?

I don't have anything formal I've captured lately. Here is the thread I originally reported:
  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2012-August/010276.html

I've tweaked the tools I list there slightly, but the bones of them remain unchanged. I spent a lot of time trying to create a tool to measure 'user experience' but did not finish it. (My approach was to take a screen cap of the X frame buffer - so 'perfect' fidelity and compare it to a screen cap of the Spice window - e.g. 'experienced' fidelity - and then use image analysis to decide how far off we were. It proves to be Hard(TM)).

I can't find the thread where I reported the CPU usage, but Spice is visibly worse than VNC on that front.

Never worked with Wayland. But probably 3D would be even more fun. But
looks like a much bigger project. For now let's focus on making Xspice
driver into a better shape!

Woohoo!

Cheers,

Jeremy