Re: RFC: Integrating Virgil and Spice

  Hi,

> I think nearly all GPUs, Intel ones included can do on-board H264 encoding now,
> the vaapi for Intel exports this ability, not sure how to expose it on
> non-intel GPUs,
> or how they expose it under Windows etc.
>
> The problem for us is the usual patent minefield around h264.

Yep.  Offloading the work to the hardware may get around that.  IANAL
though.  But not having a software fallback for patent reasons isn't
very nice.  Especially on the decoding end.  Encoding without hardware
support probably isn't very useful anyway.

cheers,
  Gerd

What about hardware acceleration with the actual codec (mjpeg) or vp8 or vp9 codec?
Unfortunately, from what I have seen until now cpu is overloaded without a dedicated video codec hardware acceleration, which renders spice client performances very poor even if on medium/high range thin client and unusable with a low end ones.

Thanks for any reply.