Re: Bug62033 Add support for --spice-disable-effects client option to spice-vdagent on Linux guests with Gnome3

Hi,

On 07/29/2013 10:50 PM, Fedor Lyakhov wrote:

<snip>

I would prefer to have a VD_AGENT_DISPLAY_CONFIG_FLAG_RE_ENABLE_ALL or
some such rather then an empty message.

My idea was based on preserving current protocol - if it  is OK to
introduce new message, I'm willing to do so.

Not a new message, just a new flag inside the existing message.

(ii) Make vdagent stateful - remember that previous connection was
disabling some effects, and if current one isn't disabling these
effects, reset them. No need for '--spice-reset-effects' option in
this case. We can even remember previous states of effects and restore
them instead of resetting them to default. This seems to be the most
user-friendly approach, but it is harder to implement. If this
approach is selected, I see implementation via GSettings (afaik there
is no config for vdagent right now, correct?)

I would not go here, --spice-disable-effects is mostly used by the
ovirt user-portal which does this without the user knowing, so the user
is not really aware this is happening, what if the user changes some
settings after the agent has made its changes, then the client disconnecting
will restore the wrong settings?

Ok, I'll go with (i).
I don't have experience with ovirt user-portal - need to look into it
probably. One concern: I find --spice-disable-effects=font-smooth
really annoying - font quality is extremely degraded (even without
setting hinting to none)... As a user I wouldn't like this to happen
behind the scenes without my opinion asked - guess I need to check
ovirt workflow here. Is --spice-disable-effects usage in ovirt
configurable by e.g. administrator?

AFAIK it is enabled automatically when the user indicates he is on
a slow (wan) connection.

<snip>

Note2: I've got 100% reproducible crash at Host-1 Guest1.1: qemu
crashes in following scenario1:
1. Start VM, connect with Spice client, open System
settings->Background, select new background [or just open
dconf-editor], close it
2. Re-connect client
3. Open System settings->Background->select background [or open
dconf-editor] -> VM crashes
Scenario2:
1. Start VM, connect with Spice client, open System
settings->Background->select new background (do not close the window)
2. Re-connect client -> VM crashes
It seems to be unrelated to my changes though, because it is
reproducible even without vdagentd/vdagent running. Does anybody know
whether it is
already reported?

This sounds like a new bug, can you file a bug for this please?

OK, sure. What do I need to do to collect enough debug information
about the crash? I've never debugged qemu/spice server...

Just step-by-step reproduction instructions is enough for now, if
this is reproducable we should be able to reproduce ourselves, and
then we can get all the info we need.

Regards,

Hans