Re: Spice/LTSP combo

Hi Ivan

Ivan Krutskikh píše v Čt 13. 06. 2013 v 21:19 +0400:
> Hi
>
> I like spice protocol a lot and want to integrate it into Kiwi/LTSP project
> in order to have hybrid terminal server/ VDI solution with diskless client
> machines. But there are some things, that I need to clear out first:
>
> 1) In order to create an LTSP screen session, I need to start spice client
> (spicec or spicy) in full screen mode with security creditials, spice
> adress and auto usb redirection on. I can do most of it with spicec command
> line options, but it seams to lack support for usb redirection. How can I
> do the same with spicy?

dump spicec and never mind spicy, use remote-viewer (from virt-viewer
package). Note that debian (and its derivatives) builds lacked spice
support until very recently. [1]

virt-viewer supports feeding connection details via a .vv file since
0.5.5 [2] so I'd go with that (it's reasonably simple & secure; no need
for password to be exposed in process listing and the file can be
deleted after connection by virt-viewer itself if you specify
"delete-this-file=1" in the file).

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2013-February/msg00108.html

> 2) Excuse me if f.a.q, but I need to make usb devices redirection possible
> for non-root users. I suppose, that should be done with udev rule, but no
> expert in hardware security issues.

A PolicyKit rule is shipped with usbredir (or spice-gtk?) that allows
redirection for any logged-in active local user. It's enabled by default
at least in recent Fedoras.

> 3) Sometime I get video artefacts from when viewing IP cameras on a virtual
> machine. Example image attached.

What spice server and client and qxl driver versions are you using?
Similar artifacts were fixed about a year ago and didn't see anything
like this since then.

David

> I believe, this happens due to the video
> detection and mjpeg compression in spice ( h264 ip cam --> player decoding
> --> raw video --> spice stream detection and mjpeg encoding --> client
> video decoding --> raw video with artefacts). So the reasonable step would
> be to disable video stream compression for local network in libvirt xml
> file. But there are 4 parameters: image compression, jpeg compression, zlib
> compression, playback compression- I don't know which one to disable and
> how. Setting all to "off" and "never" seams to resolv the issue, but leads
> to crappy wan performance.
>
> Thanks in advance!

David Jaša, RHCE

SPICE QE based in Brno
GPG Key:     22C33E24
Fingerprint: 513A 060B D1B4 2A72 7F0D 0278 B125 CD00 22C3 3E24