Re: HOWTO: construct spice-guest-tools-0.59-win.{vfd, iso}

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I see you are extracting the virtio drivers from the spice-guest-tools
> installer, another option would be to get them from
> https://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/virtio-win-0.1-59.iso
> which is the canonical location for these drivers.

Yes. I find it convenient to refer to "spice-guest-tools-0.59.exe"
installer for both qxl and virtio drivers.

> If the ISO is inserted in one of the guest's CDROM readers, will
> autorun.inf fires automatically as soon as Windows first boots?

It may or may not. The application of autorun.inf is not ideal.

Needed drivers should be discovered and installed at the time hardware
is "detected". If guest i.e. Windows XP is not capable to access cdrom
for drivers then connect a floppy image with all needed drivers.
Windows XP installer may discover drivers found on a floppy drive
install time; I guess that is due to the presence of oemsetup.inf
directive.

Really, updates to Windows XP persisted so many years and never
updated the installer to find drivers from cdrom. I disagree with the
suggestion of SPICE tools installer to install Windows XP on emulated
IDE before switching to virtio. There should be a method that uses
floppy image only.