Re: Performance

On 08/03/2013 18:24, Flo wrote:
now I renewed my System and tested it with virt-viewer on a very good Laptop with ubuntu. The Performance is nearly 100% perfect. Sometimes it is a little bit laggy, notably when I play videos in fullscreen. When I go with the mouse cursor over a running youtube video it also laggs.

Also I tested it with a thin client (1GHz, 512mb RAM) , there it is more laggy.

Summery:
KVM Host with Spice 12.2.3 from Testing Repository on Fedora 18
Windows 7 Guest with spice-guest-tools-0.52
100Mbit LAN

- Virt-Viewer at Windows 7 Client on a very good Laptop: Bad performance, don't takes the right keyboard layout

- Virt-Viewer 5.5 at Ubuntu Client on a very good Laptop: Nealy perfect performance-

- Virt-Viewer 5.5 at Ubuntu Client on a (bad) Thin-Client: Bad performance

I thought it might be nice to chime in with my results. I'm running nearly the same versions, except that I'm still using the 0.30 version of the spice-guest-tools.

I just tested my network speed at the KVM host and in my Windows 7 guest. The largest difference was in the ping time which was doubled in the guest (10 ms versus 5 ms in the host). The network bandwidth was almost the same, i.e. in both cases download and upload was over 70 Mbps (to my ISP). Overall, I would say this is not too bad.

I usually have reasonable performance watching videos from within the guest. The one thing where I do see issues is with Microsoft Lync while trying to do audio or video calls with colleagues. This works for several seconds (I've seen up to 20 or 30 seconds) and then invariably the connection drops which Lync claims to be due to a flaky network connection. I do not buy this at all. But somehow Lync sees something about the KVM network connection that it doesn't like.