Re: Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 04:23:12PM +0100, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > After this thread and the spice-gtk 0.17 release, I'm _very_ surprised to
> > see some patches on top of the F18 and rawhide package, including (at
> > least) one patch which is mandatory to build spice-gtk with newer gtk+
> > versions. jhbuild is one downstream user which is impacted by this issue.
>
> We don't go through review for trivial build fixes in spice-gtk.

In my opinion, we should follow what libvirt does here, send the patch to
the list with a note indicating that it has already been pushed to fix the
build.
This is very helpful to let others know about such fixes. People have been
reporting this issue on IRC for a few days now, and it was only when
someone said git was building fine that I noticed this fix and could help
them. I would probably have remembered about it if I had seen the patch on
the ML..

> > Last but not least, your patches to the Fedora package are buggy:
> > $ pkg-config --modversion spice-client-gtk-2.0
> > 0.17-dirty
>
> It's on purpose, since it's not official version. Is that a problem?

This looks... dirty... to have such a version number in a f18 update.

> > Can we get a 0.17.1 release to fix all of this?
>
> I'll do a new release, since other people depends on unstable gtk+ release.

Thanks!

Christophe