Re: [video-qxl 2/2] Default to only one head, not 4.

Hi,

On 01/21/2013 11:26 PM, Jeremy White wrote:
Hmm.  I've been making sure that no change I make impacts the gtk spice
client connecting to a qemu fedora 17 guest.  But I don't see that
option there.  I'll see about using remote viewer instead.

Did you see an actual problem using the patch, or is just clear to you
that there will be one?

The latter, with only 1 head, there will be no way to dynamically add
new displays (or so I expect).

Can you hit me with a user clue bat so I can test this?

You not getting this to work is not your fault, but ours :)  It is a
pretty new feature lacking documentation.

First of all you will need Fedora-18 (preferably fully up2date with
all updates from updates-testing) as both host and guest!

Then you've all the necessary bits, but the new features are not
on by default, they won't show up by default until qemu-1.3 and
F-18 has 1.2 but it does have all the features backported.

To make the features available you need to set the pci revision of
the qxl-vga device to revision 4.

You can do that by adding: "-global qxl-vga.revision=4" to your
qemu cmdline. If you're using libvirt, see this post:
http://blog.vmsplice.net/2011/04/how-to-pass-qemu-command-line-options.html
For howto add extra qemu cmdline options when launching through libvirt.

So TL;DR:
-Get Fedora 18 as both host and guest
-Make sure qemu is launched with "-global qxl-vga.revision=4"
 on the cmdline
-Log into an X user session inside the F-18 guest
-Now check the displays menu of remote-/virt-viewer

Regards,

Hans