Re: Windows Guest Tools 0.2

Hey,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 09:51:39PM +0100, Han Pilmeyer wrote:
> If have a long list of problems with KVM (running in an up to date
> Fedora 17) with my Windows 7 guest. I've been holding off to report
> them, until I'm relatively sure that I have the correct set of guest
> drivers installed. At least this is what your new upload has done
> for me today. I have a list of what I had before and now and (apart
> from QXL) the drivers seem to have the same version. The drivers I
> used before came from many different sources, all with very
> different version numbers, e.g. virtio-win-0.1-30,
> RHEV-toolsSetup_3.0_39, spice-guest-tools-0.1 (and now 0.2),
> virtio-win-1.5.3-1. This is all very confusing. Do you think it
> would be possible in the future to get these version numbers
> somewhat aligned, so that the users know what to use?

I'm not sure where virtio-win-1.5.3-1 comes from, this might be the first
time I see this specific version number. I could try aligning the
spice-guest-tools version number on the virtio-win version used. IIRC I
mentioned the various versions of drivers it contains in the release
announcement, and it might install a text file with this information as
well. You can also see a broken down version of the spice-guest-tools
installer at
http://spice-space.org/download/binaries/spice-guest-tools/spice-guest-tools-0.2-src/
As for the RHEV-toolsSetup, this is a Red Hat specific package, and its
versioning seems aligned with Red Hat product versions (specifically RHEV
3.0), so I don't think it makes sense to align other versions numbers on
that.
But I totally understand how all of this can get confusing :(

> The biggest difference I see is in the vdagent and vdservice log
> files. In the previous versions I used, the messages contained a
> date and time (which seems useful). The new ones do not. Below are
> some messages from the old and new log versions of the log messages.

Ah, thanks for noticing/reporting that. vdagent has always been compiled
using Visual C++, but with this new version I decided to try to compile it
with mingw as it recently gained support for that. The log timestamps
probably got broken as a result, I'll look into that.

> Like I said, I have many problems with the Windows 7 guest, but the
> most annoying problem is that cut/paste between the host and guest
> does not work reliably. Usually it works one or two times after the
> guest boots, but then it stops. I see messages like
> "VDAgent::on_clipboard_grab::Unsupported clipboard format" in the
> log file. I can not give you the exact messages at the moment as
> cut/paste has stopped working again. :-(

I don't think "Unsupported clipboard format" is a fatal error. The only 2
components involved in cut&paste are vioserial and the agent. It might be
worth trying to restart the agent when copy&paste stops working to see if
that helps.

Christophe