Re: bpf VM_FLUSH_RESET_PERMS breaks sparc64 boot

I'm having trouble getting Debian Buster up and running on qemu-system-
sparc64 and so haven't been able to reproduce. Is this currently working for
people?

I just reinstalled the machine from
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/2019-05-09/debian-10.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso
and there's a even newer build upe one directory level.

This patch involves re-setting memory permissions when freeing executable
memory. It looks like Sparc64 Linux doesn't have support for the set_memory_()
functions so that part shouldn't be changing anything. The main other thing that
is changed here is always doing a TLB flush in vfree when the BPF JITs are
freed. It will already sometimes happen so that shouldn't be too different
either.

That part I do not know.

So it doesn't seem extra especially likely to cause a sparc specific problem
that I can see. Is there any chance this is an intermittent issue?

So far it seemed 100% reproducible, at least in the bisect that led here.
The only variation I saw was if it just sat there for newer git snapshot or spew
out RCU and workqueue lockup warnings soon like I posed.

I can do some tests and boot the same kernel some more times.

--
Meelis Roos