Re: RFC: Driver for Oracle Data Analytics Accelerator

On 08/29/2017 08:33 PM, David Miller wrote:
From: Rob Gardner <rob.gardner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 19:47:23 -0600

From: Rob Gardner <rob.gardner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 17:36:01 -0600

Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated.
So basically binary blobs will be passed into this driver, and there
will be no verification or documentation of the various DAX
operations, their parameters, what operation they perform, how they
work, and their how their references to the user's buffers operate?

Right?

No, that is not at all how it works. Full documentation of the command
interface will be provided in the library. The driver is just a
transport to connect user space with the hypervisor calls.
Again, my point is that what the kernel processes is basically
semanticless.

The kernel doesn't validate the DAX commands, it doesn't validate
the parameters given to the commands, etc.

It's a block box, accepting binary blobs, and passing them on
as-is to the hypervisor.

Not quite as-is, since the driver does check address types to make sure the user is not passing in a real address. But yes, apart from that, it is a pass through driver, much like a scsi pass through driver; a user app can construct a command block and use the driver to get it to the hardware. A scsi pass through driver does not validate that the scsi ccb has valid commands, parameters, etc, but allows the hardware to do that and decide to accept it or reject it. As long as we are sure that the user cannot accomplish anything malicious, we don't need to duplicate validation that the hardware already does for us.

Perhaps it would seem less like a black box with further explanation of the operations, or perhaps some example programs that use the driver interface. Would that help? The library that goes along with this driver has extensive documentation and it will be open source very soon, but we can certainly provide further detail before that happens.

Thank you for your feedback. I am already revising the documentation to better explain the interface, and eager to hear more of your thinking on this.

Rob