Re: [RFC] hugepages on sparc

On 1/28/16 1:47 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:22:52AM -0800, Nitin Gupta wrote:
>>

>> On 01/27/2016 03:17 PM, David Miller wrote:
>>> From: Nitin Gupta <nitin.m.gupta@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>> Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 14:29:49 -0800
>>>

>>> I don't see what the problem with 8MB huge pages are, they work really
>>> well and the implementation is incredibly straightforward.
>>>
>>> You have to demonstrate a performance of behavioral problem to justify
>>> such work.  Then you have to come up with an implementation of the
>>> THP ABI changes, and satisfy the THP and mm maintainers.
>>>

>> 8M pages don't seem to work too well:
>>
>> I ran stream benchmark:
>> https://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/ref.html
>>
>> On a SPARC T4 (128 CPUs, 128G RAM) running 4.5.0-rc1,  I got CPU
>> lockups and the test seems to get stuck near initialization. The
>> same test completed on the same hardware in 1m53s with normal 8K
>> pages.  The test allocates a total of 48G of RAM and I forced it
>> to use hugepages with 'hugectl --heap=8M'. I passed hugepages=8192
>> as kernel boot param to make sure all 48G could be allocated with
>> hugepages.
>>
>> Since 8M seems not quite functional, I can work on getting back 4M
>> pages with hopefully decent performance. This would temporarily
>> break THP on sparc/linux but it would allow me to split the work
>> in phases.
>
> Before introducing anything new it would be good to have the current
> functionality fixed. Then you have something working that can be improved.
> And you seem to know the area, have access to HW and can reproduce the bug.
> So is this something you could at least try to spend some time on before
> starting a bigger rewrite?

I was just concerned that fixing 8M might be more work than getting
hw-supported 4M pages to work and since 4M->8M transition did not
seem to be based on very fundamental reasons, I believed directly
going for 4M pages while disabling THP temporarily (currently
it doesn't really work great on sparc/linux anyways) would be
worth it.

Anyways, I did make a quick hack to enable 4M pages and I see
CPU lockups with same stack trace so I guess they both
have same underlying cause, so I'm now okay with fixing 8M
case first.

Thanks,
Nitin