Re: Time to let sun4m + sun4d RIP?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 09:03:09PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 08:46:11PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 01:48:02PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> > > Hi all sparc lovers/users.
> > >
> > > We all know that is is a long time ago that a sun4m or sun4d machine was produced,
> > > and I wonder if there are anyone using these today.
> > > The questions pops up as there are still stuff to do before the sparc32 port
> > > is in good shape.
> > >
> > > So the question to you guys...
> > > Shall we keep support for sun4d and sun4m?
> > > If yes then why?
> > >
> > > LEON is in active use in several applications - so the sparc32 port is
> > > as relevant as ever.
> >
> > Just a fololow-up to my original question.
> >
> > We still have a few brave souls running the kernels on sparc32 based boxes.
> > On top of this there are templig.org that looks like a one-man show to implment
> > sparc32 in VHDL. But very impressive!
> > Then there are qemu that today supports sun4m - if we drop sun4m we also drop
> > qemu support for sparc.
> >
> > So in total there are still reasons to keep sun4m and sun4d around.
> >
> > Thanks everyone for your responses!
>
> And then I read this on LWN:
> Debian drops the SPARC architecture - http://lwn.net/Articles/596663/
>
> Which point to: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=745938

This simply means that the Debian sparc port will move to the category of
ports whose serious bugs aren't automatically assumed to be equally as
serious with regard to the preparation of new Debian releases.

That is indeed fair at this point, because even if we assume a generous
ratio of affected people to bug reporters, the demand just isn't there,
and hasn't really been there for quite a while now.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.