Built-in initramfs not recognized

Hello,

I was trying to use CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE to specify the initramfs
contents, but this seems to be ignored for sparc64 in the following way.

1. Use CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE. This causes generation of
$(obj)/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.xz (I am using
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_XZ=y as well), and
$(obj)/usr/initramfs_data.o.

initramfs_data.o is placed into vmlinux - verified with looking
for some bytes of initramfs_data.o in the hexdump of vmlinux.

2. Running elftoaout on vmlinux. The initramfs xz data seems retained,
again by looking for it in a hexdump.

3. Executing the so-produced vmlinux.aout via the OBP TFTP mechanism
does not print "Unpacking initramfs" anywhere, and does not execute
/init either.

Using the piggyback tool by means of

1. not using CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE
2. make tftpboot.img ROOT_IMG=/mystuff.cpio.xz

does however make the kernel recognize the initramfs environment.