Re: PCI resource allocation problem on Sun Ultra 10

> > I tried to populate my Sun Ultra 10 with PCI cards. All but the last
> > slot work but the last slot is assigned a non-working BAR. It sees that
> > this area is reserved for Video ROM. Why is there Video ROM placeholder
> > at that address - I see no resource in ATI VGA for it?
>
> It's not a "placeholder", it's absolutely necessary because this range
> is implicitly decoded by any VGA capable device in the system.
>
> Therefore no device should ever be allocated that part of the address
> space.
>
> If OBP is allocating this range to non-VGA devices, it's buggy, and is
> risking multiple devices responding at the same time to an I/O space
> access.

There are 2 different onboard grpahics "cards" on U5/U10 mainboard, PGX
that is ATI Mach 64 with 2M SGRAM and PGX24 that has 4M SGRAM. I have
the latter. And these do not seem to need this reservation.

Maybe Sun does not support legacy VGA cards in PCI slots (only
PCI-assigned areas)?

The onboard PCI VGA is on PCIB, slots are on PCIA bus. So this code
protects against PCI VGA cards that have ROM and decode in on c0000 even
after being set up on PCI, OK.

PCI address assignment section from Sun Ultra 10 service manual tells
0x4000.0000 - 0x7FFF.FFFF, 1 Gbyte, PCI bus A memory space (PCI slots
 APB ASIC register(equals 0xc))
0x40.0000 - 0x7f.ffff, 4 Mbytes, PCI bus A I/O space (PCI slots)

I can not correlate these to any number I saw in OBP and Linux
assignments... there is only
assigned-addresses:  83022010.00000000.000c0000.00000000.00010000
and that has c0000.

And a magic section C.3.3.1 telling
PCI bus A has all the PCI slots and the address is programmable by the
OpenBoot Prom (OBP).

Any idea how I can change the slots address assignment from OBP? The
setting are result of "set-defaults" plus changing boot device to
Adaptec scsi and maybe changing console.

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/developer/support/driver/wps/pci/html/Device_Prop.doc.html
talks about what assigned-addresses and regs mean but that's not that.
Neither does "OpenBoot 4.x Command Reference Manual" help here.

As a test, I removed the Video ROM reservation and tg3 of course started
working since there was no VGA on that bus. What should I do to cause
some problem without Video ROM area - try different old PCI graphics
cards in slots 2 and 3?

On what other PCI Sun that could be a problem? I could probably test it
:)

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@xxxxxxxx)