Re: Linux on sparc v7

On 05/21/2012 06:16 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 04:14:20PM +0200, Daniel Hellstrom wrote:
Hello Dave,

I am trying to catch up on what has been happening lately with the sparc
port. Have the latest patches removed support for SPARC V7 CPUs?
Yes. The sun4c were the only users of v7 so today we tell gcc to generate v8
code. This imply support for muldiv&  friends.

> From the sparc Makefile:

     KBUILD_CFLAGS  += -mcpu=v8

Does this mean that if we change it to mcpu=v7 or mcpu=cypress (or removing mcpu=v8) the kernel can still be run on a V7 CPU? Or have software routines for making V8 mul/div operations on a V7 CPU been removed so that V7 CPUs can't run Linux regardless of compiler option?

As a side-note - we require support for the "flush" instruction now.
I assume LEON support this.
Yes, flush invalidates all of the instruction cache.

The LEON VHDL model supports both V7 and V8 CPUs,
FPU and non-FPU in any combination.
I do not have any overview on the FPU side of things.
Thanks,
Daniel